Sunday, October 17, 2010

Module II: Connections!

Course Module II
Everything is connected! One of the first things I teach in science when discussing food webs and ecosystems. I like to do an activity where you unroll a ball of yarn while passing it randomly from student to student.  Then take one student out – what happens?  Great visual for kids from K through 12.  I will be looking at doing a similar activity for our climate change curriculum that I am currently developing.  I can see having kids be a part of the earth systems, and using a connection between the different systems kind of like a concept map.  (When I get a more concrete idea I will post it!)

I agree that is it important to teach the inter-relationships between subjects in middle and high school.  I have had high school students say, “You think your class is more important that all the others” and in a way, I want to say, “of course - science is the best!”  But then a student will say, “Why are we doing math?  This is science” or “why do I have to write something?  This is science.”  That is where they begin to see an interconnection and is a good place to emphasize the fact that all subjects are related, even though they are taught by different “experts” at the high school level.  And of course we all think our class is the most important, otherwise we wouldn’t be teaching it.  But at the same time teachers realize that they are all interconnected and that each subject plays an important role in the student’s development and understanding.  I would like to see more collaboration between departments in high schools, and I know there are some programs that do that.  As a teacher, I would like to see how students think in other subjects besides science because it gives me an insight into how to make science topics relevant and understandable.

I like the idea of Silla or Spirit.  I think everyone has a basic belief and understanding of Silla although we may call it different things.  I like the idea of connectivity and being a part of something bigger.  In science, all concepts are part of a bigger cycle or concept and this is a great way to introduce tying them together. 

I will use some of the video clips in the teaching resource in my science classes as a good introduction and discussion starter.  It saves a lot of time and helps me focus on the point of the lesson (as you see, I can tend to ramble easily…)

The People of the Arctic video and accompanying material will be great to use in the ecosystems section of our home school science program.  I teach a lot of kids who are “urbanized” and spend a lot of time inside with electronics.  This is a way to introduce them to the world outside their door:  Alaska is full of science wonders that many students never see!  I like the videos because they present a different view point than what I can present as a “native Caucasian” to the students. 

When I started reading materials for this unit, I thought of string theory.  I have to say I do not understand it (nor do I really understand relativity but I am working on that!) but it is a way that ties everything in the universe together – just like the food web and the yarn.  I recently read “The Secret” as self- help kind of book that basically reiterates the same thing: all energy is tied together; all energies we generate and use affect other energies and affect other things.  The effect may vary, but once again the message is that all things are intertwined. 

I love the Symphony of Science website. Not sure how I first found it, but I really like their messages, and how they have famous scientists that the kids might not necessarily know, such as Carl Sagan.   I have not used these in classes or workshops yet, but have put links to them in my weekly newsletter.

This is a very relevant and insightful module, especially since I am starting development of a climate change curriculum.  What better way to show interconnections between all things?  I will certainly use the material in the program.

Comments on other’s blogs:
This week will review/comment on:

Marilyn , because I love Gustavus

I really enjoyed reading your blog!  I agree that integrated science is a great way to teach.  I never liked the traditional "order" of science, that many high schools have, where students take biology, then chemistry then physics.  They should all be taught together somehow because the same basic principles apply to all. I taught a 9th grade integrated science class and maybe that's a good way to start to tie things together, then to become more specialized in the other branches of science.

I spent two weeks with my family in Gustavus several years ago (stayed at Amy's Smoke House).  My 3 kids were in elementary school, and we had so much fun exploring the area around town.  They had their break-up boots and spent hours in the river and the beach at Glacier Bay.  My youngest son (my adventurer) had his first face to face encounter with a moose (they were both walking through the tall grass and didn't see each other), got a bear between me and him (the bear was interested in strawberries and not small children), and lost his boots in the mud on the beach as I pulled him out just in time!

Great memories of a beautiful place!

Mary, because I spent a week in Newhalen last spring for School Bus to Space
Hi Mary,
I was in Newhalen last March with School Bus to Space….I spent a lot of time with the kids where were a little bit older, but I had a great time there.  I was there during a thaw so got to see the beautiful tundra and colors you have described.  In fact, the kids were refereeing to me as the lady who takes pictures of the ground because I would go out walking with my camera after class taking pics of the tundra (they also thought I was a little strange for doing that!) 

I had a chance to meet and talk with some of the elders in the area, both at lunch time in the school and while walking around.  What a great resource to have, although like most things, the kids don’t always realize how valuable it is until much later.  I don’t really have access to that kind of resource here, but would like to make some connections so that perhaps some of the local elders could come and share with students how things have changed recently.  




Winsor, because I share her love of Homer Spit and dogs!
Hi Winsor,
I am a native Coloradan and also grew up there.   I enjoyed reading about you and your furry friend on the beach at Homer.  I have taken one of my labs there, and can totally relate to the adventures with your dog!  I agree the Homer Spit is one of the most beautiful places on earth.  There is nothing like watching the birds come and go from there – any time of year you can see something flying around (ok, birders, I know that’s a very generic thing to sayJ)  My dog also loves the smells and to run up and down the beach.  I see your dog also likes large sticks, aka tree trunks.  Ben tries to bring them to me on a regular basis – don’t know why he doesn’t pick up a stick he can carry!

The Homer Spit has a lot of history to it, and I think will be one of the places on the Kenai Peninsula that will be most impacted by climate change.  In developing climate change curriculum for our center, it is definitely a place to include and to monitor.  Most of the students around here at least know where it is  and many have been there, so it is a great reference point for them to think about how things like changing weather patterns and sea levels might have an effect.  And they can study the effects on the landscape and the wildlife - including the impact humans have such as the Eagle Lady.  Not saying it’s good or bad, but it’s a great example of the impact humans can have on animal behavior and how once again, all things, including humans, are intertwined!

What a great way to get to know your “digital classmates!”  

1 comment:

  1. Kathy,

    The interconnectedness is one of the reasons why I've been a Secondary Generalist for the last five years. I can use Math skills in Social Studies and not feel like I'm wasting time and the students can see that the core classes really do matter through a matter of things.

    After I showed the "Power of Ten" video I showed a clip of the String Theory off of PBS as my kids were asking, "what's smaller than an atom?" And again I had to sadden them by letting them know that Math was used to figure these things out.

    ReplyDelete