Friday, October 15, 2010

Where on Google Earth was I born?

I was born in the city of Denver, Colorado.  I don't think of "landscapes" when I think of Denver.  Instead, I think of "manscapes" or land that has been shaped by humans.  I grew up there, and learned about the climate and geology around Denver, but somehow in the urban and suburban world I don't think of landscapes.

Denver is located on a high altitude plain.  It is next to the Rocky Mountains, and has a beautiful view of the mountains (when the brown cloud is not there!).   Before the city, it was a prairie; dry grasslands that can still be seen to the east of Denver in some areas.  It is dry, but does get snow in the winter.  Geologically, it is not very active right now.  When the Rocky Mountains were formed, it must have been a "rockin" place - lots of shifting and moving of the landscape.

Humans have changed the landscape in many ways.  The most obvious is the buildings and roads that cover the area.  The waterways have been changed, too.  Rivers and streams have their paths altered to reservoirs or to route them around neighborhoods, buildings, and other structures.  Man has added trees and the lawns and gardens that are watered year round make the landscape much greener that it used to be.  (That is a good thing, although it is still altered!)

 I guess my birthplace landscape is a city, with tall buildings, roads, trees, and people.  In some ways the city is a beautiful landscape, however, I prefer the landscapes where I live now in Alaska!

I'm not sure how to post a link to the place in Google Earth.  I was able to email a link to myself, but I don' see how to put it in the blog, or how to copy an image into the blog.  Hmm......I have a lot to learn about blogging!  Meanwhile, I will see if I can figure it out before Monday am. 

Ah ha....found a solution.  What did we do before Google????  Google (and the technology of the internet) has drastically changed the way myself and my students view the world and access information.  With Google Earth, you can get a real perspective of where you live in relation to the entire globe, and a perspective of how large or small the place you live is.  It allows people to see places they could never see otherwise, and get a view of the world that was only possible through a vivid imagination in the past.  I really like the feature where you can look at historic photos and maps and compare them to what is there now. What a neat way to document changes - both from a social perspective and a scientific perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment